Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Ishi Dress (2) - the silky way


As I promissed, I keep experimenting with the Ishi dress pattern from Straight Grain.
This time is an experimental dress from my 3 year old girl, Ekaterina.
First about the fabrics I used.
Ekaterina, like a real princess, loves knights, so I got her this knight fabric from Sartor:


It's a historical replica of a Viking silk: Oseberg brocade and it represents a knight fighting a lion:

The sides of the dress are made out of a scrap of fabric I got from a friend. It was probably a piece of a scarf, and it was small, that's why it runs until about 3 cm under the top line of the pockets, and at the bottom is completed with a  lining of "boring" black vegetal silk. It's not visible, anyway... 









The cyclam/rozĂ©  fabric has a subtle golden shimmer (yeah, I seem to be into fabrics with complex colours, which don't show well in pictures) and I have it from stoff.be






They are going to be outlighned by a sunny soft orange sateen piping.























At this point I have to decide which sleeves. I think some very short cape sleeves would fit best. I'll test how the original sleeves look like if trimmed very short. The relative stiffines of the golden brocade might help. The sleeves will be completely  lined with the pinkish fabric, so no inside seam will show while the dress will be worn and arms lifted.







 Now, this is typically me: having milimetrically enough fabric, after playing a good puzzle with the pattern, or being just 1 cm too short - and improvizing. Usually, the first case. I can't tell you how many things I made like this. This time, aftter sewing the piping on the edge of the sleeves, which was necassary because I want them to stick out, I had almost enough piping for the neck line, but not quite. About 1,5 cm too short, which I divided between the 2 ends and hope it will not be visible after I add the zipper:






Aaand this is what I managed to do. Barely, but ok.






I added a ribbon inside the seam of the central, pinkish fabric, to make it as stiff as the pocket's seam. It's not visible, not even the inside, but it does the job. I couldn't use iron-on interfacing because I'm not sure if the fabric can take extreme heat very well.


Finally, ready.





When there are no little stones around, Kinder figures will also do. She has a small Kinder treasure in that drawer.

She seems happy with her new dress

Side view

Time to play now!   

































PS: Ekaterina came back home from the kindergarden with an impressive amount of sand in her pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment